Saturday, April 5, 2014

Conference Weekend: Day 1

Started out this morning with Lucy's mom's amazing breakfast casserole, and then I slipped into another room to start my fast with a prayer before Conference started. For the most part, it was a good day. I enjoyed listening to the talks, enjoyed spending the day with Lucy and her family, and through most of the day I felt peaceful.

The only uncomfortable moment came during Elder Andersen's talk this morning: "While many governments and well-meaning individuals have redefined marriages, the Lord has not. In the very beginning, God initiated marriage between humans — Adam and Eve. He designated the purposes of marriage to go far beyond the personal satisfaction and fulfillment of adults, to more importantly, advancing the ideal setting for children to be born, reared and nurtured."


I suddenly felt all eyes in the room on me and Lucy--her dad, her mom, her siblings. Lucy has been open with them about the fact that I'm a mutant but that that won't stop her from marrying me. With everyone staring at me, I scooted away from Lucy on the couch, just an inch. Lucy didn't seem to react at all. Nobody said anything, and the talk went on.

From my perspective, there are two ways to see this:

1. Elder Andersen is right. Children should be raised in human families, not mutant or mixed families, and therefore it would be selfish of me and Lucy to get married. Even if we were to adopt so I don't pass on my mutant gene, children deserve to have human parents.

2. Elder Andersen is wrong. Mutants can be just as good at parenting as humans, and therefore it's okay for us to marry and have children. The kids will be just fine.

Research supports #2, but the church seems to be sticking firmly with #1. Elder Andersen would probably say that researchers are biased. Lucy would argue that #2 can be true and the church can still be true at the same time, but I just don't see it that way. Sure, I get that church leaders are human and capable of mistakes, but would God really let them lead the church astray on something this big? Marriage and family are quintessential to the Plan of Salvation. If God is truly at the head of the church, I can't imagine that he would let them be wrong on this.

So either #1 is true and I will have to give up the hope of getting married and having a family, or #2 is true and I need to get out of the church. Which is it? I don't know. I guess I need to keep fasting and praying.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a definition from Wikipedia, Trys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutant_(Marvel_Comics). I have the power to fly, but don't use it because the church teaches that mutant powers are a counterfeit for priesthood power.

    ReplyDelete