Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Moving UUPP In The World

Who needs drugs when you have emotional highs like this? What should I tell you first--the good news, or the better news?

I'll start with the good news: The Understanding Unnatural Power Proclivity club is awesome. There were about ten other students there, all of them experiencing UPP in one way or another, and all of them faithful members of the Church. I cannot begin to express how amazing it is to meet others like me, caught in this weird twilight zone between the mutant community and the Mormon community. It hadn't even occurred to me before how lucky I am that I can pass as human--at least to people who don't know me as well as my sister does. There was a guy there tonight who has purple skin, and has to wear flesh-colored make-up to school every day. One of the girls has horns that she has to cover up with hats all the time. (She joked about how kids from her hometown in rural Alabama used to tease her that Mormons have horns, and it turned out to be true for her!) I guess the club has a different theme each week, and this week they had a guest speaker talk about suicide prevention. I hadn't realized before what a huge problem suicide is among mutant Mormon youths; I feel bad now for even suggesting the idea the other day. I have my bad days, but I would never seriously consider taking my own life.


And the better news: Jan and I chatted before the meeting (and during, and after), and she laughed about my oversharing post last night and my awkward apology this morning. She said she would much rather hang out with someone who's direct and honest about how he feels than with someone who plays silly dating games and makes her guess what he's thinking. She said she was flattered by my post, and that she likes me too. (!) We're gonna hang out tomorrow night.

So I guess the only bad news is that it's another twenty-one hours until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment